PLEASE CONSIDER THIS....
More than 500 scholarships have been awarded to public and affordable housing residents since 2001. One recipient, Yvonne, a single mother of four, moved into public housing unexpectedly. "I was making $8 an hour. I got my ducks in a row… I applied for a scholarship to become a nurse. Now I'm making almost $35 an hour." Yvonne completed her degree and financial literacy training and qualified for a down payment on a home, where she now lives with her four children.
In July 2015, the White House declared the Housing Authority of the City of Austin and the City of Austin a Mentor City for the 28 communities participating in the national ConnectHome initiative to bring the Internet to 2 million children across the U.S.
Google Fiber is now live at Manchaca Village, Meadowbrook, Bouldin Oaks, Shadowbend, Salina and Booker T Washington apartments. Since the launch of Unlocking the Connection, about 80 percent of residents at five of HACA's 18 public housing properties have registered for free basic Internet service from Google Fiber. More than 800 residents have earned free refurbished computers donated by Austin Community College because they completed computer classes.
Austin Pathways provides critical services to bridge several barriers that low-income families face when striving to achieve financial independence - like child care and transportation. Our goal is to help public housing residents and Housing Choice Voucher clients become self-sufficient so they can get off of assistance and make room for the next family in need.
• $20 provides a working parent with a bus pass for two months
• $50 provides a week of after-school homework tutoring
• $75 pays for child care so that a parent can attend job training
• $135 covers the cost of GED testing so that a parent can begin college at ACC
• $250 provides health and wellness classes for a senior or person with a disability, and can provide digital literacy for those who would otherwise be isolated because they are home-bound
• $1,000 can provide a scholarship to a first-generation student in community college.
Thank you for supporting my fundraising campaign, Tracy Yetter
Your giving can have a ripple effect!Donate Now
Donated so far: