-Sheldon H. Horowitz, Ed.D., Director of LD Resources,National Center for Learning Disabilities.
Opened in 1998, Odyssey School is an accredited, independent, non-profit middle and high school dedicated to providing a positive learning environment for students who learn differently. Odyssey was born in 1997 when a reading teacher, a neuropsychologist, and a speech &language pathologist were in conversation about the need for a place where students with learning differences could experience academic success. They imagined their ideal school as one where teachers could spend enough time with each student to truly teach to their strengths, in a community so supportive and caring that students actively stretched toward new knowledge. They founded Odyssey school to realize this dream.
The name Odyssey School was chosen to express the journey that each student with learning differences undertakes-like Homer's Ulysses in The Odyssey, each has a quest involving big challenges. Each discovers strengths along the path and ultimately, reaches heroic success.
Understanding: The Odyssey Difference
• Service Learning: Odyssey students connect with and give back to the community through a monthly Service Learning program. Odyssey's students serve some of the following organizations: Austin Marathon's Austin Gives Miles program, Central Texas Food Bank, Austin Animal Shelter, Capitol School, and Meals on Wheels.
• Asset-Based ThinkingTM (ABT): Odyssey is the first school in Austin to be a certified training school for the Asset-Based ThinkingTM program. The program partners perfectly with our philosophy of teaching to students' strengths and increases student confidence, wellbeing, academic success and leadership.
• Focused Academics: Biology, Technology, Chemistry, Geometry, Algebra I & II, Household Budgeting, American, World, and Texas History, separate Reading and Writing classesfor middle grades. All courses have a strong focus on 21st Century Skills, such as communication, collaboration, technology, and adaptability.
• Project Based & Experiential Learning: Maker Movement, Maker Shop, Science Fair, Pragmatics, community service, and student-led conferences.
• Individualized Curriculum & Electives: AP courses offered, Introduction to Marketing, Culinary Arts, Spanish I & II, Speech/Communications, Healthy Living, Focused Literature Study, Studio Arts, Maker Shop, ACC Dual-Credit Program.
• Educational Testing Center: Professional, affordable assessments available to current and incoming students as well as to the community at large: Psycho-Educational, Reading and Dyslexia Evaluation, Highlands Ability Battery, and Accommodations Consulting.
• Academic Language Therapy: Our reading program follows research based, proven Orton-Gillingham scope and sequence and can strengthen accuracy, fluency, and decoding skills, which increases comprehension, confidence, and the general desire to read. Group and individual Language Therapy available.
About Odyssey School: Odyssey is committed to the development of academic excellence and self-acceptance for students who struggle in traditional educational settings. We believe that all children can be successful in their intellectual, creative, and social development. Our goal is to help students discover their individual potential for greatness. Odyssey School is a not-for-profit organization that depends on tuition as well as the generosity of individual and corporate donors to perform its mission.
We chose the name Odyssey School to express the journey that each student with learning differences undertakes-like Homer's Ulysses in The Odyssey, each has a quest involving big challenges. Each discovers their strengths along the path and ultimately, each reaches a heroic success.
Today, Odyssey offers a comprehensive and sequential curriculum for fifth grade through twelfth grade. We have an average annual enrollment of 60 students. We offer a summer camp and an educational testing service. We are proud to say that the dream of Odyssey School continues to be realized in authentic learner-teacher relationships and students who know the joy of learning.
Odyssey School has been Austin's leader in providing specialized instruction for students with learning disabilities for over a decade.
Your donation directly supports the teaching and learning at The Odyssey School, and may increase the number of students we can enroll. We are committed to reasonable tuition for the exemplary individualized education our students deserve!
-Susan Kittleson, Parent
"Imagine your child's mental image for school changing from one surrounded by thunderclouds and filled with shattered glass in the hallways to one covered by rainbows and butterflies. Not only that, imagine your child transforming from one who struggled to learn to one who now talks about her love for learning-that has been our daughter's experience moving from public school to Odyssey School. It's an incredible testimonial to Odyssey's positive affect on students who struggle in the traditional educational environment."
-Angela Eaton, Parent