In today's world, literacy is about using printed and written information to function in society, achieve one's goals and develop one's knowledge and potential. At the Literacy Coalition of Central Texas, we believe everyone should have the skills they need to reach their full potential.
To function in society, achieve their goals and develop their potential, families and individuals must:
• Understand medical instructions
• Use a computer
• Have a solid command of the English language
• Navigate the transit and workforce systems
The Literacy Coalition helps ensure individuals can obtain these skills by embedding its high-quality, proven programming in the business, healthcare and nonprofit sectors, meeting the needs of clients and families where they already go to work, receive support services, or seek care. Our programs and services are designed to deepen the impact of local nonprofits, strengthen the business workforce, and build stronger communities.
We strive to create a Central Texas community that is 100% literate, employable, and engaged. Since our founding in 2001, we have more than doubled the number of adults receiving literacy services in the region. We have trained more than 1,000 volunteer literacy instructors to teach basic literacy and English as a Second Language since 2009. Just in 2013, our staff referred more than 700 families in need to free and low-cost literacy programs. Our AmeriCorps service members provide vital literacy services to more than 3,000 adults and families annually.
Last year alone, the Literacy Coalition:
• Collaborated with over a dozen learning centers, including our own, which provide high-quality literacy instruction-reading, writing, math, English instruction and high school diploma exam preparation.
• Ensured more than 1,000 adults improved their literacy skills through our collaborative programs
• Trained 200 adult literacy teachers, who improved the quality of their instruction through our Literacy Forward program
• Improved the English language skills of 300 employees at their place of employment through our English @ Work program
• Helped 300 parents gain the skills they need to ensure their children enter kindergarten school-ready through our PALS parenting program, one of the largest of its kind in Central Texas
• Served over 3000 adults and families through our AmeriCorps service members.
While all donations received by the Literacy Coalition support our ability to improve literacy levels in our community, here's how your donation will help us today:
• $25 covers the cost of intake testing for a new adult literacy student at our Ascend Center for Learning.
• $50 will provide health literacy training for a family with a child with special health needs
• $100 will pay for a student to take a high school equivalency (i.e. GED) practice test in our Learning Center
• $250 will provide an adult student with four months of basic literacy at our Learning Center
• $500 will provide a nonprofit with access to literacy training and resources for a year
• $1,000 will pay for a new family of three to attend our bilingual (Spanish/English) parenting program for 12 weeks
"The RGK Foundation values the unique leadership role the Coalition is demonstrating to centrally coordinate, support, and improve literacy services in Central Texas through high-impact technical assistance for the providers."
- RGK Foundation, donor and supporter of the Literacy Coalition of Central Texas.
"Since incorporating the teaching strategies learned in the Literacy Coalition's training series, more and more students are attending the class, due to word-of-mouth acclamation for the efficacy of the classes and fun activities. (A big contrast from the common class attrition!) The classes are way more active, with students talking and interacting much more. They are smiling and laughing during the learning activities. It's really changed our program!"
- Literacy Volunteers of Wimberley, partner agency to the Literacy Coalition of Central Texas.
"Employee turnover among participants has decreased by 16 percent. This saved us $250,000 or seven times what we spent on the program-a darn good return on investment!"
- Scott Carlisle, Director of Support Services Seton Healthcare Family and client of Literacy Coalition of Central Texas' ENGLISH @ WORK program