Texas School for the Deaf Foundation's mission is to strengthen and sustain language, academic achievement and career pathways for deaf students at Texas School for the Deaf (TSD) and across Texas by enhancing educational opportunities in five key funding areas: Literacy • Outreach • Technology • STEM • Career & Technical Education (CTE).
• TSD serves 7,000 deaf and hard of hearing students and their families across Texas
• 550 students are enrolled at TSD
• 43% of TSD students live on campus and commute home on the weekends
• 70% of TSD students qualify for free and reduced lunch
• TSD's Educational Resource Center on Deafness (ERCOD) serves 87 counties throughout Texas
• TSD, founded in 1856 by the Sixth Legislature, is the oldest continuously operating public school in Texas. The current 67.5-acre site on South Congress Avenue is the site of the original campus.
ENHANCING STUDENT'S 24-7 LEARNING ENVIRONMENT IN 2018:
Though the specific TSD Foundation priorities are, Literacy, Outreach, S.T.E.M. Curriculum, Career and Technical Education and Technology, the overarching mission of the Foundation is to help bridge the gap of unmet needs that Texas School for the Deaf (TSD) and its students face.
Unlike many educational foundations, we support a school that is a state agency. For us, our Foundation often addresses the needs that result from decreased legislative appropriations and budgetary limitations. Our challenge is further complicated by the fact that TSD, as a state agency, is unable to collect property taxes, can't float a bond for a new program or building, and has no per-pupil funding and no revenue sources other than those appropriated biennially by the legislature. As a comparison, Austin voters approved Proposition #1 for AISD to raise 1.1 Billion Dollars to modernize or construct 16 new campus facilities, including improvements to technology for students and teachers - TSD is unable to do this as a state agency.
In addition to enriching the experience of deaf students at TSD, we are sometimes tasked to take on critical capital expenditures such as the acquisition of a culinary arts facility or the purchase of dormitory furniture. In the case of the latter though, not a one-to-one correspondence with the TSDF funding priorities, it clearly enhances children's lives by giving them the tools to learn, grow and belong in a 24-7 learning environment. Our dorms are home away from home for TSD students and represent the most basic of duties of public education to provide, safety, comfort and support for learning. Learning doesn't stop when the last school bell rings and our students deserve to have the necessities that any other student have in their living environment.
This year, we are focused on raising $200,000 toward improving the living conditions in the dorm rooms and common meeting areas by replacing 20-year old furniture with new furniture that is more adaptive to developing an innovative learning environment that is geared toward DeafSpace Design.
Impact StatementDuring the 2016-2017 Fiscal Year, TSD Foundation met $121,000 in needs at TSD.
In the early part of our current fiscal year, we are on our way to increasing our impact by having already funded:
- A collaborative Hispanic Deaf Youth Outreach Initiative in the Valley that includes partners from the TSD Foundation, TSD, ERCOD, Texas A&M Colonias Project, Texas Association of the Deaf, and the Texas Latino Council for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing to establish a 6-month pilot project designed to serve families with deaf or hard of hearing children 0 to 5 years of age
- $23,228 in Mini-Grants awarded to TSD teachers and staff
- $27,850 for:
- Tire Changer Machine for CTE Automotive Students ($5,500)
- Solus Scanner Machine for CTE Students ($3,000)
- 15 iPads for Middle School and 7 iPads for ACCESS Program ($7,350)
- Mobile Discovery Retreat in El Paso ($12,000)
- Over $15,000 in pass-through contributions benefiting 35 TSD families who were impacted by Hurricane Harvey
Help us continue to make a difference by donating today!
Needs StatementThe TSD Foundation is seeking Community Champions and Business Partners. Your financial support will help us make an impact in the following areas:
Most Immediate Need - $200,000 to fund new furniture!
The furniture housed in various campus dormitories are 20 years old. Imagine sending your child to school to live in rooms that have furniture including couches, sofas and bedroom furniture that has been used by countless numbers of students year after year for 20 years?
Look at the numbers:
550 students are enrolled at TSD.
43% of TSD students live on campus and commute home across the state on the weekends.
This presents a unique situation for a state operated public school that doesn't receive the same tax funding benefits as a local school district. The students spend more time at TSD than they do at their own homes. Our goal is to make their campus living environment more accommodating.
TSD is in desperate need of funding 76 dorm rooms with dressers because the rooms don't have closets.
• $20,000 will fund 76 dressers
You can help by Adopting a Room!
• a new chair ($60),
• nightstand ($200),
• desk ($210),
• and dresser ($270).
STEM funding needs:
• $1,000 will fund 10 Ozobots for Special Needs Department
• $3,6000 will fund Texas Instruments Graphing Calculators for Middle School and High School Students
EVERY DOLLAR MAKES A DIFFERENCE!
***" By being immersed in an environment with native signers she quickly caught up with her peers academically. I feel that is the reason she was able to develop her reading and writing skills that she has today. Our daughter has blossomed at TSD due to the knowledge and confidence she has gained. She started college in the fall and we couldn't be more proud of what she has accomplished, thanks in large part to the opportunities that were provided by the TSD community. " TSD Parent
***"Our child has been a student at TSD for the past two years. Since his enrollment in 2012 at the age of 3, we have seen remarkable growth in his language, social, and academic development. We have been and continue to be impressed by the entire resource team that supports Landon. They are passionate about what they do and they have been meticulous in designing an education program specific to our child's needs. We are grateful for the opportunity to have our child at TSD and we recognize how much he benefits from the resources available at TSD." Chris and Lisa S. parents of TSD student
***"Our daughter started her second semester of 7th grade at Texas School for the Deaf. When we took the tour of the campus we knew this was where she belonged and we have never looked back
Matching Funds DescriptionDouble you impact and give today! The Anderson Charitable Foundation is generously doubling every gift up to $5,000. Your support of our mission will help allow every Texas deaf and hard of hearing child being served by the Texas School for the Deaf in Austin and across Texas.
Google Fiber has offered a $10,000 matching grant to be distributed among all participating education organizations on Amplify Austin Day. These nonprofit organizations will receive funds on a pro-rata basis. Each nonprofit will receive matching funds based on their total funds raised on Amplify Austin Day.