Special Olympics Texas- Central Texas served 3,504 intellectually disabled athletes in 2016.
SOTX conducted a research project with University of Massachusetts Boston in 2016 to collect the date below:
• 17 years is the MEDIAN age of the SOTX athlete.
• 14.4 years is the average length of INVOLVEMENT for adult athletes.
• 4 in 5 athletes join SOTX through SCHOOl-BASED programs.
• 70% of all athletes IMPROVE their SELF-ESTEEM and SELF-CONFIDENCE because of SOTX.
• 1 in 2 athletes INTERACT with teammates on a weekly basis outside of practices and competitions.
• 1/4 of adult athletes are successfully EMPLOYED in competitive settings.
• 61% of SOTX family members see "improved self-esteem and self-confidence" as a top GOAL for their athlete.
• 55% of family members INCREASE their community involvement because of SOTX.
In fiscal year 2016 Special Olympics Texas, headquartered in Austin, Texas:
• Provided training and competitions in 22 sports,
• Provided Special Olympics Texas athletes the opportunity to participate in 6 State-wide Games,
• Provided Special Olympics Texas athletes the opportunity to participate in 12 Regional Games,
• Had 4,051 coaches support the SOTX athletes in Texas,
• Special Olympics Texas sent 15 athletes to 2016 World Games in Las Angeles, CA.
• Recruited and trained 38,236 volunteers, and
• Enabled 55,232 athletes to participate in Special Olympics' year-round programming.
Your donation supports Special Olympics Texas and provides our athletes with continuing opportunities to develop physical fitness, demonstrate courage, experience joy and participate in the sharing of gifts, skills, and friendships with their families, other athletes and the community.
$1,500 Sponsors 10 Athletes' Year-round Participation in Training and Competitions.
$750 Sponsors 5 Athletes' Year-round Participation in Training and Competitions.
$150 Sponsors one Athlete for one full year of year-round Programming.
$100 Enables Special Olympics Texas to Train 30 Volunteers.
$50 Sponsors an Athlete's Attendance at our Statewide Summer Games held at UT Arlington.
$40 Sponsors an Athlete's Attendance at our Statewide Fall Classic held at Texas A & M.
$25 Sponsors an Athlete's Attendance at our Statewide Winter Games, hosted at various venues throughout Austin, TX.
$10 Sponsors a complete Award Package: (Gold, Silver, & Bronze Medals + Blue Ribbon).
Tracey Harmon, mom to Special Olympics Texas athlete and hero, Robert Harmon.
"My name is Anthony Campise I started doing Special Olympics when I was 11 years old. I first started after my parents learned that I was high functioning autistic and bi-polar I am now with Flower Mound Special Olympics where I participate in basketball, flag football, swimming, soccer. Since I joined there organization I have learned to put others before myself as before I was an extremely selfish person in every way possible. Special Olympics has made a huge impact on my life and has helped me believe in myself and believe that I can do things other than Special Olympics, like get a job. Special Olympics has helped me learn to truly care for people with intellectual disabilities as if they were my brothers and sisters."
"As a fourth grader, I never imagined the impact that being involved with the Special Olympics would have on my life. In 2006, I became a Unified Partner, which allowed me to coach and play with these Olympians in basketball, track, swimming, volleyball, and soccer. There was a beauty in the Special Olympics games and in the connection with the athletes that challenged and inspired me to grow more deeply as a person. The patience, positivity, and clarity of instruction required of a good Unified Partner has undoubtedly strengthened my ability to be a more complete leader. Working with the Special Olympics will always be an important part of my life, regardless of where my path may lead. It has shaped me into the person and leader I am today, has sparked an unwavering desire to remain a servant leader, and will always push me to inspire others to do the same."
More information on unified partners: http://www.sotx.org/get-involved/athletes/sports/unified/
Find more information on Central Texas (Area 13) competitions and fundraisers here: http://www.sotx.org/news-events/calendar/ ---> Click Area 13 under "Related Area"
SOTX Central Texas website: http://www.sotx.org/about/areas/area13/