Great Promise for American Indians preserves the traditions, heritage, and culture of Native Americans, and supports the health and education needs of our youth and families. We do this to honor the past and to ensure the future. To achieve this mission we:
* dispel myths through programs that educate the public about Native American cultures;
* sponsor and conduct the annual Austin Powwow and American Indian Heritage Day at the Bullock State History Museum; and,
* support and promote the activities of the Native American Parents Committee.
Impact StatementGreat Promise for American Indians has been promoting Native American culture in Central Texas for over 25 years. We celebrate the cultural identity of the more than 20,000 American Indians living in the region through cultural events, scholarships to American Indian students, and youth programs that explore the many facets of our culture. The Austin Powwow, held the first Saturday in November, is the largest one day powwow in the country, attracting Native artists representing approximately 100 tribes from all over the United States and Canada.
Our community includes tribal elders, parents, entrepreneurs and educators representing thirty-five different tribal nations. Through our Red Voices in the Schools program, we partner with local schools to provide performances and cultural programming emphasizing both traditional and contemporary American Indian culture. Great Promise provides both a local community for American Indians to connect to and a resource for the larger community to understand and witness American Indian culture.
Needs StatementThank you for considering contributing to Great Promise.
* Your contribution of $25 will enable us to teach one American Indian youth traditional arts and crafts like beading and regalia making as part of our monthly Culture Night.
* Your contribution of $100 will fund one American Indian youth to attend our annual Youth Summer Adventure Camp.
* Your $1,000 contribution will make you an official Austin Powwow sponsor entitling you to 4 passes to the 2017 Austin Powwow, mention in the 26th Annual Austin Powwow official Program, and two official 2017 Powwow t-shirts.
* Your contribution of $1,500 will fund a full performance by American Indian dancers and drummers at an area school.
-Kaitlin Lloyd, Bullock Texas State History Museum